Contact Us: 317-472-2052



Click here for form to donate non-cash assets

Find information on claiming your state tax credit here

50% State Tax Credit

Donors receive a 50% tax credit that can be applied to your Indiana state tax liability.  Click here for a brochure with details.

Who Qualifies?

Individuals and businesses qualify for this state tax credit.  There is no limit on the amount that you can give, but the state does limit the amount available for the credits.  For the fiscal year beginning on July 1, 2022, that limit is $18.5 million annually.  See available tax credits.

Who Benefits?

Funds are used to support scholarships for middle and low income students attending one of our partner schools.  You may direct your gift to scholarships for students attending a particular school, or you may give to our general fund.  Find a school.

Please consult a tax professional about your individual tax situation!

Click the button below to estimate how tax credits and deductions impact the TRUE COST of your donation.



Give by sending in a check - click here for a donor form and more instructions.

Non-Cash Assets

Give non-cash assets, like appreciated stock through our Single Charity Fund with the National Christian Foundation. Click here to start the process.

Credit card or ACH

DONATE ONLINE NOW through our partnership with iDonate. Give using a credit card or doing a bank transfer from your bank account.  Set up recurring donations, or gift a vehicle.


Q: Is there a limit to how much I can give and still receive the credit?

No, there is no limit on your donations as long as there are tax credits available (see section above for link to check remaining credits).  The credit is applied to your Indiana state tax liability.  If the amount of your credit exceeds your tax liability, the unused credit may be carried forward for up to nine years, but it may not be carried back or refunded.

Q: Can I designate a school or student to receive my gift?

Yes, and no.  You may designate one of our participating schools to receive your gift.  However, SGO donations may not designate a particular student; this would be considered a tuition payment and is not eligible for a tax credit.

Q: What if I don't have a particular school in mind?

We recommend that you browse our list of participating schools, or talk to us if you have an interest in schools that align with your interest area (geographic area, special needs, urban/rural, classical, faith-based, etc.).  We also welcome donations to our general fund, which is used for scholarships to support students attending all of our partner schools.

Q: How do I claim my credit?

The receipt letter that you receive from Sagamore Institute will include the amount of the donation, the tax credit certification number, and instructions for claiming the credit.  We also send out year-end letters in January that summarize your donation and include detailed directions.


Q: Is this gift eligible for a federal deduction?

Yes, if you itemize. The amount eligible for federal tax deduction as a charitable contribution is 50% of the value of the SGO gift. All gifts are eligible for a 50% Indiana state tax credit, so long as credits remain.

Q: Can I give using a Donor Advised Fund?

The Indiana Department of Revenue will give a donor a tax credit certification number for a gift given from a DAF.  HOWEVER, we strongly advise against giving to the SGO program through a DAF because of the potential penalties and fines from the IRS.  It is against federal law to benefit from a donation through a DAF, the state tax credit received on an SGO is a clear benefit.  If you want to use DAF funds, please consider giving directly to the school.

Q: Can I give to the SGO through my IRA?

It is really important to discuss the best way for you to give with your tax professional. Anyone who is over 70 1/2 can give to the SGO from their IRA without a penalty. A gift from an IRA will get the 50% state tax credit. It is our understanding that a gift made from an IRA would NOT be considered a Qualified Charitable Distribution and would need to be included as taxable income on your federal taxes. If you itemize you would deduct 50% as a charitable donation.